This bright orange hexacopter offers multiple camera options suitable for professional uses like search-and-rescue, firefighting services, law enforcement or high voltage power lines checking among others.
The Yuneec H520 also features a higher load capacity, increased flying time and three camera options in a single package. Wow!
The H520 is a successor to the Typhoon H, which is aimed basically for industrial users. Period.
The UAV’s technology is advancing by leaps and bounds and made the old Typhoon H to become obsolete (it is an awesome piece of technology tough!), so the H520 has an improved hardware and software features aimed almost exclusively towards industrial scenarios like those described up in this review.
To sell the H520 as an industrial-level drone, Yuneec had to give it a fresh new design to handle all sorts of challenges out in the field. Even at first glance, you can tell it’s a commercial drone from its size and build. The rotor blades are much longer, and the body looks thicker.
From the weight to the feel of different parts, the H520 really feels industrial. Its rugged design is going to do it a lot of good in the field where it’ll have to battle against wind, obstacles, and elements. It has to be able to carry a hefty payload while maintaining perfect stability.
I told you that this H520 is basically designed to be a workhorse on industrial environments right? To be that, Yuneec states that this drones can be up in the air up to 30 minutes but (and this is a BIG but), if you use the drone with one of the three camera options (you’ll see more on this right below, in the camera section), this 30 minutes can become to 25 quickly. You are warned!
This Yuneec is equipped with a 5250mAh LiPo with an increased voltage standing at 15.2V. 4S LiPo’s are usually 14.8V as a point of reference. This increase will obviously give more thrust to the drone and will keep it in the air slightly more than his old brother, the Typhoon H.
Sorry Yuneec, you didn’t make it on the Range section 🙁
Yep, the drone comes with an astonishing 7-inch Android platform with a precise touchscreen that will help you control your new drone with proper ease. The ST15S ground Station it is the same device that you could find on the old Typhoon H drone, and yes (again) it does a great job. This is a fact; no issues here.
The downside, is that the operating range is only 1500 meters which is more than enough for some industrial applications but it falls short on another ones.
Things get worse with altitude, as this bird will only climb to 500 meters.
The Yuneec H520 has three camera options:
- E90: The E90 camera is a wide-angle, high resolution, gimbal stabilized imaging system perfectly suited for use in applications that require high quality photos and video. The E90 utilizes a 20 MP 1 inch sensor and the latest H2 high speed image processing chip. The E90 is ideal for law enforcement applications such as accident recreation, search and rescue operations and for 3D mapping/modeling. In addition, broadcast and production professionals will appreciate the dramatic aerial shots afforded by the E90’s high frame rate and accurate color. This is the option for most users.
- CGO ET: Thermal imaging is achieved with the dual-imaging solution for UAV use. The CGOET simultaneously records two separate video files for each lens. It is also designed for low-light scenarios with the ability to see 20X better than the human eye in identical environments. Are you the electricity company and want to check the high voltage cable lines health? Go for this model.
- E50: The E50 camera is a medium focal length, high resolution, gimbal stabilized imaging system perfectly suited for use in inspection or cinema applications. The E50 utilizes a high aperture 1/2.3 inch CMOS imager that is capable to capture still images with 12 MP resolution. The E50 is ideal for critical inspection of cell towers, wind turbines, oil & gas platforms and other vertical assets. The 40mm equivalent lens enables the E50 to capture important visual detail while maintaining a safe distance from the asset. Broadcast and production professionals will appreciate the cinematic effect afforded by the E50’s 40mm prime lens equivalent focal length.
This drone has all the DJI’s smart flight features that let a drone fly autonomously. Since this drone was designed to be a workhorse, I prefer to concentrate on the relevant features that entitle this drone to be what it is.
- High Wind Resistance: Even in high-wind environments, the Yuneec H520 sUAS system is able to hold position, allowing the solution to fly even when a manned inspection would be deemed unsafe. Exclusive flight speed control offers slowest speed above stall flight for maximum precision in challenging environments. Could you image the drone, inches away from a high voltage line, colliding the line and leaving home users without electrical power?
- Retractable Landing Gear: H520’s landing gear retracts out of the way to give you a continuous 360° view of the world to capture important data in the field. This is important as, with the majority of drones, pan up the camera is not possible as the rotors interfere the angle of view.
- GPS, Glonass and Galileo: Industrial use is very demanding. What happens if one system fail and you cannot get your job done? This can be traduced in hundredes (often, thousands) of $USD loss… This is why Yuneec equipped the H520 with up to 3 different redundant systems.
- 5 Rotor Failsafe (Important!): Imagine that you fly your H520 and one of the rotors goes off. Buuuuu; that means, most surely the drone going down and causing and accident (to others and to your pocket). But… this is not this drone’s case as the H520 will land safe and sound, waiting for the missing rotor to be replaced!
Made in China.
The H520 is relatively easy to use from an airborne point of view. It is not really complicated, really. Keep in mind that is relatively slow (you won’t race with it, believe me) as it climbs 4 meters per second and the maximum horizontal speed is 17 meters per second (38 mph).
From an application point of view, this drone is as difficult to operate as a Caterpillar Crane: everything has its operation tricks and once you get used to your work tools, they are relatively easy to manage.
Product Name: Yuneec H520
The Yuneec H520 is not aimed to casual fliers. If you have your own company and need a drone to improve your quality processes or want to boost your production, this drone is made for you!
- Excellent flight time.
- Tough body desing.
- Obstacle avoidance technology.
- 3 camera options available.
- Android based software fully customizable.
- Very low range.
- Very low altitude.